19 December 2007

Immunizations Redux

I went to the travel clinic on Monday, and I have to say that I was more than surprised at the level of competence. True, no one in the office knew where Lesotho is (or had any idea how to pronounce it... Le-soo-too, by the way), however, they were 1) timely, 2) prepared with CDC info that was actually up to date and 3) willing to listen to my reasoning for declining certain immunizations.

What did I wind up getting?
1) A PPD, to establish a baseline now. When I return I'll have it done again, since there is a good chance I'll be exposed to TB regularly.
2) A polio booster (injection, not oral), as recommended by CDC. Though this seemed a bit excessive, I chose it since I'll likely be doing more traveling in the future to other developing countries (Incidentally, am I still allowed to use that term "developing"?)
3) A Hep A titer, since I can't seem to find my medical records on whether or not I ever had this vaccination. (Word of advice: get your medical records sent to you now and save them somewhere you can easily access. Even if you don't need them now, when you do need them, it's a complete pain in the butt to get them. Takes way longer than it should)
4) Oral Typhoid. Pill I take every other day for 4 doses. I've taken 2 so far. Yum.

That's it. No rabies. It's not endemic, and I don't have plans to work with animals.
No yellow fever, Japanese encephilitis, plague, etc, etc, etc.

No comments: