23 July 2009

Cavewoman

No lactose. Okay, not such a big deal.
No alcohol. Meh, I've done that many times before.
No fructose...not okay! I was the kid who grew up turning candy away and asking for fruit.

Now it's just protein and white rice. The vegetables are substituted by vitamins. There's an interesting article here on the FODMAP diet that I should be following. It's kind of like the diet our ancestors ate when they first turned into homo sapiens. (I mean, when God created us.)

I've gone from being one of those people you don't want to invite to dinner because I was a foodie and total wine snob to one of those people who you don't want to invite to dinner because you'd have to wait three and a half hours for me to special order things.

I guess this just means that I have to be more creative about my social interactions. Can't just default to eating. Interesting challenge. I'm up for it.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Highly suspicious of any diet that needs to be supplemented by vitamins: proper nutrition and suitable shelter are our two most important needs. Even our ancestors were aware of this. Consider the environmental impact of all that meat consumption.

Most importantly: the peaches are in! And that means tomatoes can't be far behind.

Becky said...

why are you anonymous?

and yeah, the environmental impact is definitely a factor weighing on my mind. but that means if i were to reduce that from my diet, i'd basically only be able to eat rice and leafy greens. so, no, this diet isn't ideal for most people (i REALLY don't recommend it), but i gotta try and find a way to make myself healthy after a decade of misery...