22 January 2010

The Good

As someone who grew up in what is often described as a "dysfunctional" family, I think I've spent the better part of my adult life trying to sort out my childhood and the impact it's had on my current actions and reactions. In much of that sorting out, either on my own or with a professional, much of the conversation is about moving away from that childhood. Defining life and relationships in a current model that is no longer influenced by the past. Acknowledge the bad and move forward.

But what I think I've missed out on doing over the past 10 or 15 years is acknowledging the good and embracing it. Because, honestly, if there hadn't been anything good, I probably wouldn't be where I am today.

So this entry is a testament to all that was good in my pre-adult life.

Brandy, Double Dare with Emily, New Years Eve with those people from AA, The Mazda SE-5, Ice cream and TGIF with Mom, Florida in the summer, Ezra: IW, LR, PL, and my major crush on AL, France, Italy, China!, Willow Park, gymnastics, Branford, getting in the newspaper with J.

J. He gets his very own section. Djbouti Transmission. Remember that? Casino night? Canter Bell? And WWF? Young Frankenstein and Monty Python. Steal the Old Man's bundle. Soccer with that tiny soccer ball. Peach Schnapps and hamburger pancakes. Sugar Woofer. Gathering of the Vibe. NYE 1998 in NYC. And on and on and on.

(This list was harder to make than I'd thought it would be...and shorter.)

2 comments:

Mom said...

I have stored so many "GOOD" memories of your childhood. In fact I was just thinking of them the other day.

Jeremy said...

NYE in NYC:
"Duane, look that woman's asleep at the wheel. Isn't that funny, Duane. Duane. Duane. Duane! Wake up."