08 February 2010

Reunited

How can it be
Thirty years hence
That he still haunts me
Through that invisible fence
That I tried to construct
To keep him away?
But with no such luck
He's here every day.

I put him aside
Thought I had won
But with every stride
I see I've become
No stronger than her
That girl of just five
I've made him a blur
Just to keep us alive.

We battled the cold
And lived on a whim
Not wanting the old
Connections to him
To hold us back and
Keep us down.
Just like his hand
That muffled our sound.

But that girl and I split
We parted ways
I knew I should quit
Remembering those days.
So off I went - whew! -
and conquered the world
And she was sent to
writhe and curl
under the cover
of his wrongful touch
and so she did hover
for thirty years such
while I left her there
no thought or regard
wholly unaware
she still had it hard.

And now we are back
together again
this child in black
mourning his sin.
She reminds me
that though I
thought I was free
all that I do, all that I see,
all that I fear, all that is me,
is because of
he,
he,
he.

No comments: