Whenever I go away, I feel like I need to clean house before I head off. I really don't like coming home to disorder, and while most people who know me are probably thinking "Disorder? You mean you didn't put one of your shirts in alphabetical color order?!", I feel like my level of anal-retentiveness is slowly starting to disappear.
For some reason, this morning I decided to completely dig through everything and get rid of all the clothing I haven't worn in over a year, all the weird ultimate stuff I've had from tournaments years ago, and the shoes I have, but I have no idea why I own them. Turns out, I had a lot of excess. I have 5 bags of stuff for Goodwill, which is amazing to me, since I never feel like I hoard things. I think what I'm learning is that I'm even more of a minimalist than I ever realized. These two sentences feel contradictory. But I guess what I mean is that I usually feel like I have less *stuff* than most other people, and now that I've weeded through that, I only have about two backpacks worth of stuff left.
The true transient, huh? If I had to move suddenly, it would take me about two hours to pack. And most of that would be my books. It turns out that, in fact, I will be moving before I leave Hawaii for 2 months, and I'll likely just take an afternoon to do it. And as much as I feel like all I talk about and think about these past couple of years is *community*; and knowing that being transient does not actually lend itself to developing this alleged community...having even less attachment to stuff feels REALLY good.
So today I off-load a lot of history: all those nostalgic t-shirts that I haven't worn in years, the business clothing that I hope to never have to wear again, and the jeans I got in college that are threadbare.
Yeah, symbolic for sure. Getting rid of stuff I no longer need to hold on to. Far less frightening than I thought it would be. Moving forward to whatever is next. So, what's next?
No comments:
Post a Comment