Had a moment of professional delight just now.
My boss/mentor just came down to my office and asked what I was doing on September 7. I assumed he was going to tell me about some meeting that I should go to, something that involved a group of people who say things like "data analysis, methodology, and statistics", but who really have no idea what they're talking about. So I looked at my calendar, hoping that I was doing something else.
Nope. Nothing scheduled.
Well, it turns, out that my boss came down to ask if I wanted to teach in an undergraduate course that day. He had been invited to teach that day, but turns out he has other stuff going to that he couldn't get out of (that's what happens when the Feds come). So without any hesitation, he came down and said he hoped that I would be able to teach instead.
Talk about finally getting some professional respect! It's just totally amazing. And so timely, since I'm realizing (as I apply to PhD programs) that what I really want to do is teach.
The best part is that I agreed (enthusiastically) before he even told me what the lecture topic was. This of course made me feel even more respected, in that he just assumed that whatever it was, I'd be able to take it on without any problems.
Turns out the class is in the Public Health Department at UH. And the lecture topic is "Critical Thinking". I'm not entirely sure what that means, but if for those of you who know me well (and probably those who know me less well), I'm sure you can imagine that my ability to think "critically" is pretty well honed ;)
I love teaching. I love it. Particularly at the graduate level. And rather than be nervous about walking in pretty blindly in 3 weeks, to a class I know nothing about, I'm psyched! Further evidence for me that I want to get my PhD so I can teach, and do research that aids my teaching.
*By the way, University of Washington is looking better and better each day. I just emailed a faculty member there to try and meet with him when I'm in the PNW for J&C's wedding next month. And he responded instantly! Definitely starting off well with UW.
1 comment:
Super psyched for you!
Things are going so well!!
Post a Comment