08 February 2011

The Great Outdoors

I wish there was a job where I could hike and solve geopolitical issues at the same time. Is there anyone who wants to pay me a lot of money to do this? It can be relatively tame hiking (I get tired pretty easily lately), and we could start with a simple topic like "Development projects in Africa - Are they useful?".

Do you ever just feel like you are nothing put a raging bundle of energy that no one wants to utilize to your fullest potential? Do you feel like you have 18,000 grand ideas, but no one wants to listen? I feel this way ALL the time. My brain is practically busting out of my skull with the desire to be stimulated and to give stimulation back to some great projects, but I can't find an outlet to release all this energy.

I feel like I'm about to become the 10th grader who is so totally unchallenged by school that I get horribly bored and wind up dropping out. I wish I could say I was one of those rare individuals who is able to be my own advocate, my own source and foundation of greatness, where I build some great professional empire uniquely mine because nothing else in the world will compare. But I really just want a mentor. I want someone who isn't constantly trying to reign me in. I want a professional partner in crime who isn't afraid and conservative.

If I have to crane my neck at SAS code, so I can publish another manuscript that no one will care about, from a dataset that is horribly flawed, I'm going to FREAK OUT. I've totally put myself out in the world, in places where I want to be professionally connected. I've volunteered my time because I find stimulation and that's all I care about. But I don't get it...even with the giant sign on my back that screams "I'm bored! I want to provide you with free help!" people aren't taking advantage.

Who will go for a walk with me in the mountains?

1 comment:

mom said...

There are plenty of people out there listening to you!!! It's just a matter of time before someone will respond. Hang in there!!!