10 February 2011

A Capella

I often consider the fact that I am virtually inept when it comes to things musical. But before I spend a whole blog post disparaging myself, I'd like to consider the fact that while I may not be able to produce anything enjoyably musical, I do think I have a solid ability to understand where true musical genius exists. Moreso, I think that in the world of music, what I have to share is...sharing.

So today I want to share this with you:
Bobby McFerrin. Have you ever really heard him? "Don't Worry Be Happy" was probably one of the best and worst things that ever happened to him. Best in that it helped propel his career. Worst in that most people think that's all there is to him.

But the man is pure musical genius. Youtube has a whole smorgasbord of videos of him doing incredible stuff. I highlight *this one* because it's great to see him being not only a performer, but a mentor as well. I'm not a big one for TV, but if I had to recommend one TV show to anyone interested in anything musical, The Singoff would definitely be that show (Nota and Committed are righteous!). Go check it out. And if you live in Seattle or DC or Denmark, go see Bobby in the next couple of months. He is a true performer and artist.

No comments: