29 June 2011

My Old Self

All these past seven weeks, and maybe even the nine months before that, I realize, I'd been thinking that it was just a matter of time before I could get back to my *old self*. And particularly, the self who was in ridiculously good shape.
Though I don't think I'm totally ready to accept it, I think I've finally realized that the *old me* is exactly that...*old*. And that if I'm to continually try to go back, I'll never be moving forward. So I need to rethink what *self* means, how I define it, and that more than ever self with a child and family is more transitive than ever before. The self I am today, in not the self I am going to be tomorrow or the next day or next year. It's just how it is. As he changes, I change.

While at my core, yes, I am the same self. The way I exhibit that core is what will evolve. And so I guess for so many years, I've really been stuck in the mud.

Here's to moving forward and evolving. Here's to my new self...and the next new self after that..and the one after that, as well!

1 comment:

mom said...

Here! Here! To keeping the same old self and moving forward with it. They are both wonderful places to be.