No one really wants to know about this, but it's going on now, so I have to write about it. Over the past month, there have been a number of incidences that have happened to expats here in Lesotho. Some car-jackings, some people being robbed at gun point on the street in the middle of the day, and some houses getting broken into. The US Embassy is holding a meeting on security issues in Lesotho this Wednesday, but honestly, I'm not sure what they could possibly tell us that we don't already know. Don't carry a lot of money and valuables when you're walking around town. Don't drive late at night. Don't walk down suspicious dark alleys.
I mean, I'm certainly not walking through town waving R100 bills around, but in lieu of hiding in my house, I'm not sure there's really anything I, or anyone, can do to stop crime here. We got a night security guard at our house (this is a very common thing to have here in Lesotho). So that adds a level of safety...I guess. I mean, it's more just a superficial solution because if someone really wanted to get into our house, I don't think the security guard could truly stop them. Yeah, we definitely have to be cautious, I agree. But lots of people here are becoming increasing worried about safety. I'll do what I can to protect myself in a general sense, but I don't see the use in worrying because that's not going to prevent anything from happening either. So I'm just living my life here as I can. I think, for me, it really helps that I have Basotho friends. Most times where I'm out socially, I not with a group of expats, which seems to be the most vulnerable situation.
Who knows?
I don't feel unsafe here in Lesotho, which is definitely a good thing. I mean, I wouldn't want to spend the next three months constantly looking over my shoulder. That said, you never know what can happen, so I do hope that my feelings of safety are not unfounded.
1 comment:
I think buying a gun on the black market would solve your problems.
Post a Comment