02 May 2008

May Day

So not much has been going on the past few days. I ran a preliminary QA training in Leribe on Wednesday, which went pretty well. Though we started an hour late (typical for here), so I didn't get through as much as I wanted to. We're meeting again next week (and for several weeks to come), so I'm not worried. The best part is that we didn't just talk, we're already creating a QA document and monitoring plan. It's great to actual have some real results from the efforts.

Yesterday was May Day, so no one worked. I did, at home, for awhile. But I also got a chance to sit out in the sun in my yard and read some more David Copperfield. It's supposed to rain all weekend, so the warmth yesterday was great.

Today, we had no power in the office for most of the morning, or at home, so by the time my computer battery died, it was still early in the morning. Everyone here is getting so frustrated with this load shedding. And like I've probably written already....it would be much easier if they would just stick to the schedule. But instead it just goes off randomly through the day, and everyday, not twice a week as it said on the schedule. But the most frustrating part for me is the lack of conservation ethic here. All the lights are on in the office, even if no one is there, and if I turn them off, people get really upset. The heaters are left on full blast, etc, etc. No wonder we need to lost power so often.

There's a consultant here from Boston, Avra, who was supposed to have a few meetings today, but they were cancelled, she had a dead computer battery, too, and doesn't drive stick, So I took her to Morija, to show her where Scott hospital is, and just to have an excursion. I'll put some photos up. Morija is really nice, relaxed, nice hiking in the hills, a great lodge. I could have spent a lot more time there.

Having some friends over this weekend, doing some more work (always), and just trying to stay warm!

No comments: