Do we really give ourselves permission to be ourselves all the time? I think not many of us do. I think not many of us feel totally uninhibited...and not in the I'm-gonna-be-crazy-inhibited-sort of way....just in the I'm going to completely embody who I am sort of way. You know like eating raw almond butter on top of lettuce just because that's what you like. Or being friends with someone who you normally think you shouldn't be. Or even just saying "Hey! Me! I'm going to lay in my bed and write about things funny things I think about even though it's 80 degrees outside and sunny."
Sometimes I think I need to ask permission from other people because I forget that I'm actually in control of my life. That I'm the one who decides what I should do and when I should do it. And sometimes I fool myself and think my decisions are based solely on permission I've granted, when really, I'm influenced by the other integral people around me.
Yeah, there are times I wish I could turn my brain off and not wonder what life would be like if we suddenly switched to base 12, but then I realize that my wanting to turn my brain off is just me not giving myself permission to be who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment