18 November 2009

Crash

I almost ran a woman over in the Safeway parking lot this morning. To be fair, I was backing up and she walked behind my car, but I ALMOST HIT HER. And she was old, like I-would-have-broken-her-hip old.

I made eye contact with her, and waved an "I'm sorry" hand. It was as I was turning back around to pull forward that I realized the look that was on her face. It was something akin to ambivalence. Maybe she didn't realize how close I was to hitting her. But from the blank stare, it seemed more that she didn't care. As if when my bumper crashed into her knees and left her face-up on the pavement, she wouldn't have reacted any more than if I had given her the cardboard ice cream cone cutout propped outside the Coldstone.

So many ways I could read that ambivalence. But suffice it to say, I'm just glad I didn't hit her.

No comments: