19 December 2009

Stewards

He said "God" and I cringed instinctively. Maybe it even surprised me a little that my naturopath is a believer. It is my misconception that someone who is so into eastern philosophy could also be connected to a western idea of the omnipotent. Whatever it is, all I know is that, in some respect, a piece of me felt less confident in his opinions after he said "God".

And it's completely ridiculous because the whole time I've been seeing this guy, I have decided to suspend disbelief myself, and just trust in the wisdom of homeopathy and the things that we can't really know everything about (namely the connection between mental disposition and physical health). But for some reason, having faith in a more eastern based philosophy seems less ludicrous to me than having faith in "God". And while this is based on a more holistic view of nature, and not some stories created a few thousand years ago, eastern philosophy is still fairly elusive. I just have so much trouble with the God thing, though. And maybe I'm a brainwashed liberal intellectual who has been trained to be very wary of people who believe in the Judeo-Christian God. Maybe I'm an atheistic extremist who needs to understand that bible believers are not all blind, single-minded non-thinkers. There are plenty of people who have done amazing things and believed in God. I mean Einstein was a religious person. I just worry when I hear someone say "God created us to...". Especially someone who is treating me because I wonder if eventually they'll just attribute things to God and give up. I guess if I take it one step further, though, I could say that another naturopath could just attribute things to the universe (whatever that means) and karma and give up, too.

I think I'm just really frustrated with the way Judeo-Christianity has subsumed this country, and I've lost faith in anyone who ascribes to it here.

I do have to say, though, that my naturopath did make a fantastic point, even though it was tied into God. He said "God created us to be the stewards of this Earth and the environment. And we've made the mistake of believing that we are separate from it, not a part of it." Yeah, it's something that I am certainly guilty of many times. We are a part of the ecosystem here on Earth, and we forget that so often, I think. We forget that when we champion causes for the environment, we are not just doing it to save the whales and the trees and the habitat of other creatures. We should be doing it for ourselves, too. We should remember that we are not somehow suspended above the Earth and when it is eventually ruined by us, we don't have anywhere else to escape to. We are here as much as every other living thing, and we need to learn how to connect with our habitat much more than we have.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Yes, and yes, and yes. You might want to check out this blog: http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/

Beth is an Anglican Christian, and also a thoughtful, compassionate, intelligent, and self-aware person (and a great writer). Following her writing has helped me think differently about Christianity and America (even though she lives in Canada now, she was in VT for a long time). It's always interesting to me to notice my reaction when she - or anyone else - brings God into the conversation.