04 December 2009

Women

What I love about Hawaii is that in the two business meetings I had today, only about ten percent of each meeting actually had to do with business.

I met with the executive director of the Hawaii Coalition Against Domestic Violence because they want me to do some data management consulting for them, particularly as it pertains to the Hawaii State Strategic Plan to combat domestic violence. So yeah, we covered that in about ten minutes. Then the rest of the time I found myself being invited to the executive director's "feminist theology" group.

They meet twice a month, all the members are over 60, some highly educated, some not at all. They discuss any and all things related to women, women's rights, theoretical underpinnings of misogynism, etc. For some reason, she thought I would be a good addition to their group. Young blood, enthusiasm, a penchant for philosophical discussion.

So when I get back from the mainland, I'm going to my first meeting. Should be pretty interesting, to say the least. I'm pretty excited, actually, to interact with a group of mature women who get together solely to read books, debate the big ideas, and create an environment where - who knows? - something monumental could arise. Or maybe I'll just find some amazing mentor...

_____
Off to Tampa tomorrow for the Maternal and Child Health Epidemiology conference. I have one poster presentation (on intimate partner violence in Hawaii) and one oral presentation (on binge drinking among reproductive aged women in Hawaii). A two-day GIS workshop. And countless other sessions and meeting to attend.

Friday, next week, I fly to see the family in Ft. Lauderdale for about 4 hours, and the turn around and get on a plane to VT!!!! Can't wait to see the family, meet Tiny, and remember what cold weather feels like. (I hope someone brings a winter jacket to the airport for me....)

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

it just started snowing today!