This has been an ongoing conversation for probably the last ten years. And, to date, I have not received any satisfactory responses.
The original question was "Does anyone use the word *couth*?" I mean, sure, we all have probably said something about someone being *uncouth*, but honestly, have you ever heard anyone use the non-negated form of that word? Yes, it's a word. It has a definition. That's not up for debate. I just can't imagine anyone actually using the word couth. I'd feel like a complete moron if I ever uttered it.
In years of investigation around this word, some other examples have arisen. Notable, while I was in SF this weekend, a good friend mentioned another prime suspect: Kempt. And then he suggested I consult this poem:
My Dream by Ogden Nash
This is my dream,
It is my own dream,
I dreamt it.
I dreamt that my hair was kempt.
Then I dreamt that my true love unkempt it.
What about others? (In)Corrigible, (Un)Beknownst, (Un)Fettered...
3 comments:
(In)vincible? Flight of the Conchords has an answer:
http://www.wmhartnett.com/2009/02/11/hurt-feelings-lyrics-by-flight-of-the-conchords-because-im-here-to-help/
Another posting of the video: http://vimeo.com/11978342
What about "gruntled"?
Post a Comment