25 June 2008

Holiday

I don't know if it's that I have nothing to write about or that the things I do now are so commonplace that I don't even think about writing about them, but it's been awhile since I've posted anything.

What have I been doing? Well, mostly LOVING life here in Lesotho. Work is going along so well, I feel like I've accomplished so much in such a short time, and the feedback I've been getting from the hospitals is amazing. They are all honestly disappointed that I'll be leaving in a month. And I really think it's more than that I'm just some person who is helping. I really feel that I've made a lot of personal connections, and that the work I am doing here is not work I'm doing for the hospitals but with the hospitals. It's really sad to think about leaving so soon, leaving programs that I've seen come to fruition, and programs that have so much further to go. It's true that someone is coming to replace me, but I still don't feel comfortable
leaving a project in its infancy. Honestly, I've tried to extend my stay here, but the decision was made to hire someone else. Alas...that is how things go.

So what am I doing today? Well, I leave for a ten-day holiday to Durban, Swaziland and Joburg! I'm so excited to leave. My friend has a house in Durban, so we'll be driving straight down there, spending 4 days chillin' at the beach, eating Indian food, and relaxing. Then we drive up to Mbabane in Swaziland, maybe go to a game park, do some craft shopping and again...relax. We'll then head to Joburg, maybe stopping in Kruger on the way (circuitously) to see some wildlife. And the coolest part is that I'll see my friend, Tanja, who is flying down from Denmark to see her boyfriend. I met her 10 years ago in Israel, and haven't seen her since. So this is going to be superb!

Then it's back to Lesotho for 3 short weeks before my return to the States. I basically have every weekend planned until I go, with a very hopeful plan to see Manchester United play Kaizer Chiefs in Cape Town the weekend before I leave. I haven't found anyone to go with yet, but I'm still looking. It would be unreal!

I don't know if I'll have internet while I'm on holiday, so my posting will be delayed again. You can get my South African cell number from Caleb if for some reason you want to reach me. (I love phone calls! I'm 6 hours ahead of EST)

Don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything you'd like me to bring back from Africa. I'm leaving soon, so get those requests in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe you will be coming back so soon! Also, you would have been in trouble with at least us (and probably everyone else!) if you had been able to extend your stay.