08 June 2008

Likuena

Amazing! Yesterday, I went to the Lesotho-Ghana World Cup Qualifier (soccer, of course) in Bloemfontein, South Africa. And it was amazing, so much fun. I went with three Basotho friends, and we sat in the crowd of Lesotho supporters. One of my friends brought a Lesotho flag with him, and we drove to Bloem with it on the top of the car. Seriously, everyone we drove past was cheering and whistling at our car. It was great, we were like the most popular people driving through the border!

So the game was supposed to start at 6 p.m. We got to Bloem at 4:30, thinking we had enough time to grab some food and "tailgate" a little. But when we got into the stadium at 5:15, the game had already started! And we had missed to first Ghana goal. But as soon as we found some seats, Lesotho was on the attack and nearly scored. The crowd was so into it, so excited, so patriotic. They were singing almost the whole time the game was going on, and not just those lame soccer chants you hear in England or the States. Actual songs about Likuena (the Lesotho team). And lots of dancing in the stands. We had out flag out the whole time and it was a total magnet. So many people just came up to dance near us because of the flag. There is so much more of a national pride here than I've seen anywhere else.

Now, everyone was pretty sure that Lesotho was going to lose. They haven't played in a World Cup maybe ever, and they won a game 10 years ago in a qualifier. But people didn't care. They were excited and supportive anyway. The game was actually very good. Lesotho was on the attack at least half the time. And Michael Essien (yes, I saw Essien about 10 meters from me!!!) wasn't doing much to stop them. Agogo was the real threat. He's a giant! I wouldn't mess with him if I was on an opposing team...

Ghana went up 3-0, and there was only 5 min left of the game. Everyone started cheering and shouting trying to get Likoena psyched to score. But as the clock hit zero, nothing had materialized. 3 min of extra time were added, and it seemed as if everyone was going to go home disappointed. But then the most amazing this happened. Lesotho scored a beautiful goal! And the crowd went insane. As if Lesotho had just scored a winner and they were going to the World Cup. And then one minute later, Lesotho scored again! It was unreal. Honestly, at the end of extra time, with a score of 2-3, the Lesotho supporters were celebrating as if they had just won the game. It was so fantastic! I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

Lesotho plays Libya next weekend. I wasn't even considering going before, but now...I don't know, if the excitement is anything like yesterday, I don't know if I'll be able to stay in Maseru.

Oh, and just in case anyone is interested, they have vendors walking around the stands selling chips, candy, cigarettes, people taking polaroids...oh, and you can but joints, as well.

No comments: