13 June 2008

To the Mountains

I usually put my laundry out every other day for Molly (the girl who lives in the room behind our house) to wash. I thought that would be a pain in the butt for her, but it turns out that having to do a few pairs of socks and a couple of shirts each day is much easier than a ton on clothing on one day.

Normally, my clothes are cleaned and dried that same day or by the next day. Well, last week, I couldn't find my clothing for four days, and finally, when I saw Me Zinnia, I asked here where my things were. She was way too apologetic, saying that she hadn't found anyone new yet to help with the cleaning around the house. "New?" I asked. "What about Molelekeng?"

It turns out that Molly went back to her village in the mountains, and its unclear when she'll be back. And here's why...She has a baby who is probably about a year old. Up until now, she's been able to do all of her work with the baby tied to her back, no problems. Now, though, the baby is too big, too mobile, and so Molelekeng can't get her work done as easily. So...she brought the baby to the mountains to ween her, i.e. to leave her there with her brother's family. This way she can continue to get paid working in Maseru, and not be hindered. When Zinnia told me this, I really felt so badly for Molly. I can't imagine having to leave my child, and I don't even have one. I guess it's not that uncommon here, though. Tough times call for tougher measures...
_______________________

I went to the Likuena game yesterday. They played Libya...They were beaten 0-1. The game was far less exciting than the Ghana game. Likuena should have scored three times. It was much more disappointing losing 0-1 to a sub-par team like Libya than it was to Ghana. Oh, and Gabon actually beat Ghana this weekend. Major upset!

No comments: