Why is it so hard for people to be decent? Why do we find it so hard to give compliments, rather than use sarcasm and defensive language? It's vulnerable to be kind in our culture. And I think that just sucks.
This is not to say that I am above it, that I go out of my way to be kind and loving as opposed to aloof and snide. However, I have taken on a personal challenge to find my humanism. To give sincere compliments, to embrace my vulnerability and to "maintain a feeling of compassion", as the Dalai Lama instructs.
It is too easy to get wrapped up in the drama of emotional politics; to take a side; to gossip and cheat our way past our true feelings. I don't want to be a part of that anymore. I want to find happiness not in other people's suffering, demise, or challenges, but in my own balanced self.
And I challenge you, too. Stop before you criticize, talk behind someone's back, find yourself feeling superior. Think about the similarities you have with the personal who is making you want to be indecent. Embrace those similarities, and you'll probably find yourself able to understand and achieve a greater self-satisfaction.
No comments:
Post a Comment