25 December 2008

Echo

Sometimes I feel like I have the same conversation over and over again. Especially since I'm constantly meeting new people (given my transient nature).

For instance, and these tend to always been super-late-night or back-corner-of-coffeeshop conversations, there's the altruism conversation. "There's really no such thing as pure altruism," one person will say. "There is always some kind of selfish motivation behind every action." And while I don't want to debate the actual point right now, I do think that this topic has come up so frequently for me.

It's this pseudo-intellectuality that makes me wonder if 1) I've run out of things to talk about with people or 2) I have some kind of aura about me that begs to be harnassed with these types of unanswerables. I'm pretty sure it's not the former because I hardly ever bring up these echoed conversations. And as for an aura, well, I'm not sure, but I do find that people like to discuss any and all matter of things with me, so maybe I'm just a human sounding board. Maybe people try out their philosophies on me, see if they sound usable, refine them, then bring them out into the world for further inspection.

I woke up at 5 a.m. today to feed three cats in two different houses, then went to work in Waikiki. Maybe one day I'll actually write a blog entry when I'm not half-asleep.

No comments: