06 December 2008

HULA Disc

Today is the league finals for HULA. And because I'm a woman who has played ultimate at least once before in my life, I get to play in the tournament even though I wasn't registered for the league! I'm pretty excited to be playing still, when normally at this time of year, I am so done with ultimate after a long spring, summer and fall. But since I missed the entire season after being in Lesotho and then Springfield, I can't get enough disc.

Here's the cultural difference, though. When I think league ending final tournament, I think minimum three games, semis, then finals. Play begins at 9 a.m. (the latest) and end at 3 p.m. (the earliest). Hard core. Rah. Need to beat ourselves into ultimate submission. Not here...

There are two games guaranteed. There is a semis and finals. However, my friend tells* me that not all teams will necessarily show up. That really everyone wants to get the playing over with so they can get to the party, and that I'm going to need to adjust and become less intense. I'm trying. It's hard, though, especially when it comes to ultimate.

I'll try to remember to take some photos and post them....

*Why is the English language so stupid? Why can't verb conjugations match their subjects? Singular subject (i.e. friend) needs a verb with an "s" on the end (i.e. tells). Plural subject (i.e. friends) needs no "s" on the end of the verb (i.e. tell). That's just idiotic.

No comments: