23 March 2008

Easter

It took me coming all the way to Lesotho to experience my first Easter. No lamb, or church or wearing a white frilly dress or anything. But I dyed my first Easter egg. We had to be creative, so they tell me, because all of the usual egg dying mechanisms (I can't even give an example because I don't know what they are) were not available here. So instead, we just used beet juice for the red dye, found a bottle of blue and a bottle of yellow food coloring and went from there. The Elkins have a tradition of making an egg tree (is this common? I don't know). So you can see in the new photo that that's exactly what we did. Given that I'm the least craft-oriented human alive and I don't have all the family tradition behind it, I wasn't all that enamored of the egg dying process. I mean it was fun to hang out and see other people excited about bringing some home culture to Maseru, but most of it was lost to me. Why do people dye eggs on Easter anyway?

This has been a great, chill weekend. The weather has been cooperating, and I've managed to sleep until 5:30 almost every morning. Though yesterday, I woke up at 4:30 starving, went down to eat a huge breakfast, then went back to sleep from 6:30 - 7:30.

I watched "Sense and Sensibility", which is only the second movie I've watched since I've gotten here. I thought I would be watching many more, which is why I loaded up my hard drive, but the appeal just hasn't been there. When I do have free time (rare), I've just been reading.

This coming work week is still a bit undefined for me. I have a few meetings, one with the MOHSW to talk about hospital accreditation, but mostly I'll be making a lot of phone calls. After our PSBH conference in Leribe, and then the Easter holidays, I need to get back on track with the hospital management processes I've begun.

Oh, and someone at the gyn last week asked me if I was a bodybuilder....When I laughed, he then asked if I did a lot of aerobics. Then he asked for my phone number. Shockingly, I didn't give it to him.

1 comment:

Caleb Jong Il said...

Um, are there any other gyms in the area? I'm not so sure I like this one.