05 March 2008

Late

Have I mentioned that everything in Lesotho starts late? And I'm not just talking 10 or 15 min. Sometimes, if you have a meeting at noon, it won't really start until 2 p.m. And actually, sometimes, it won't start at all. I'm completely not exaggerating.

This whole time, I've been trying to figure out why people show up so late, and even stranger, why they sometimes don't show up ever. Is it that they are busy doing other things? They forget? It's not important? I mean obviously Americans are hypersensitive about time, but this is definitely the complete opposite end of the spectrum. But it's definitely frustrating, especially when you call to confirm a meeting, drive an hour to get there, and then the person doesn't show. I have a meeting tomorrow, and I anticipate this occurring.

You'd be surprised though. For me, someone who is always ten minutes early, I've adapted to the lateness and now show up just on time, instead of early. Who knows, maybe by the time I leave, I'll start blowing off meetings completely?!

Lots of work going on. 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m. today. Next week is the big Problem Solving for Better Hospitals (PSBH) workshop in Leribe. Tues night - Friday night. I won't have email access, so that'll be strange. But we're going from sun up to sun down, so I won't have much time for email anyway.

It's supposed to rain for the next few days. I'm so happy about that because it's cooling things off (it's been 90 for the past week) and it's getting rid of the mosquitoes. Did I mention that they've been horrible for the past few nights, buzzing in my ears as I try to fall asleep, leaving my arms and legs covered with red welts (though they disappear pretty quickly) and generally just annoying the &%*#&* out of me.

Not tonight though. I'm sleeping in sweatpants because it's finally cool out.

No comments: