One thing I haven't mentioned, something I've glazed over as being "normal", is the fact that everywhere you go, there are billboards and ads for employing people who are HIV+. Not only that, but I get spam text messages on my phone saying the same thing. Oh, and people walk around the street with t-shirts that say "I'm HIV+". I guess it's equivalent to all the pink ribbons people have in the States for breast cancer awareness. Again, though, for a country that is supposedly dealing with a huge stigma problem surrounding HIV, Lesotho is worlds ahead of the States.
2 comments:
I'm not so sure Lesotho is 'worlds ahead' of the States in this regard. In the US, potential employers and employers may not ask about HIV status, no matter how relevant that status is to the work to be performed.
Okay, anonymous, I see your point. But I should clarify that when I wrote "worlds ahead", I meant more in terms of the stigma related to being open about status, and people wearing HIV+ t-shirts. Not the employment thing.
Post a Comment