11 April 2008

Security

After spending time in the hospitals here in Maseru, I realize how little I know about how hospitals run in the States. In fact, I know much more about how government, business and management works (or doesn't work) here in Lesotho than I do at home.

One interesting tidbit is about the security companies that are hired by the hospitals. I'm guessing this practice happens at home (in prisons, I believe?), but I'm not sure. They hire the security companies on a one year contract, and once that contract is up, a new company with new security guards is hired. At first you may think this is really labor intensive, with trainings that constantly have to happen, and having to negotiate contracts, etc. However, the reason it's done is so that the security guards don't get to comfortable in the community. Once they comfortable, they start to get lax in their jobs, become friends with people in the neighborhood and start to let people do things they shouldn't do.

There's a lot of corruption here in Lesotho people stealing money, taking bribes, having sketchy business practices, etc. It's weird, though, because people are so open about it. I think there's probably just as much corruption in the States, but we're so quick to say that we're such an upstanding culture (at least that's my impression) that it's so underground. Here, though, everyone knows who's corrupt and who to bribe to get things done.

That said, I would guess that most people here aren't corrupted. It's just more interesting to write about the ones who are....

Suzanna is leaving for the State tomorrow. It feels like we were just talking about how she was still in the country for 2 1/2 more months, and now her bags are about to be packed. We're having a going away dinner for her at Regal, the Indian restaurant, tonight. It's actually pretty decent food, and just about the only option in Maseru. Definitely looking forward to eating something than eggs, crackers, and fish or chicken (my staple dinner these days).

No comments: