21 April 2008

In the Dark

As soon as I walked into the gym this morning, the power went out.

Remember how I said Lesotho was going to be experiencing rolling blackouts...we'll they've rolled in and they're here to stay. We were provided with the load-share schedule, and I naively thought that Lesotho Electric Company was going to abide by it. Ha! We've had blackouts randomly every day for the past three days, and today as well. I think it's just going to get worse, and my friend said that until they finish building the new hydroelectric dam - in THREE YEARS! - this isn't going to stop .

This morning, though, it was actually kind of fun being in the gym with no power. The locker room was pitch black (no windows in there), so I was walking around as if I was blind. There were only a few other women in the locker room, and we all just kind of laughed our way around. One of the staff members finally brought in some candles, so it wasn't that bad. Though, as I left my stuff in the locker, I was convinced that I would never see it again, assuming the unattended candles would burn the place down.

Fortunately, I was lifting weights and using the self-powered bike, so I didn't need electricity. It wasn't until I finished working out, that I realized there wasn't going to be any hot water for the shower! Dumb. It hadn't even crossed my mind. But I got lucky. All the hot water was diverted somehow to the women's showers. So I showered by candle light and headed to my office after.

Yeah, there was no power for the first hour in the office, but my battery was mostly charged, so I got some work done before the power finally came back (3.5 hours later).

Who knows when the next one will be?

No comments: