I started taking Cipro yesterday, and already I am feeling SO much better. It took me a long time to decide to take it, because randomly taking antibiotics for something that is not clearly bacterial is not a good idea. It's not like I could go to a lab here and have them do a culture, there's just no capacity for that. So I did my own research and finally decided to take the meds I had brought with me (good thing, huh?). Actually, I found this CDC website to be most helpful.
Anyway, I'm coming back to life. Now I just need to regain some strength and energy. It seems like I've lost a bit too much weight this past week (~8 lbs...I'm not kidding.) I'm ready to eat anything I can get my hands on, but I definitely have to take it slowly.
I went into the office today. Actually, first Suzanna and I went to QEII that have that meeting with the Principal Nurse Matron. And surprisingly, after several ambiguous phone calls, she was in her office! We had a short but productive meeting, and plans for a follow-up in a couple of weeks. Then we went over the Fruit & Veg (as it's called here) to get a few things. Bread and bananas for me.
We went back to the office (slowly, since my muscles apparently decided to atrophy), stopping to get me some sunglasses (trendy ones from PEP - the sort of CVS of Maseru). I met with Lauren and Senate to discuss work, and I've got a whole new set of things to tackle. I'll mostly be in Maseru next week, but I do have to make a trip out to Leribe to do some follow-ups with PSBH participants. Otherwise, I'll be looking at reports from the MOHSW Annual Joint Review and producing some other synthesized reports for the district hospitals. The goal of these reports will ultimately be to action plan for improvement for next year's AJR and for upcoming accreditation, among other things.
Tomorrow we're picking a BU-affiliated physician and her daughter up from the airport. This may be my first time driving here on the wrong side of the road! Exciting stuff...or scary...or not really a big deal. I'll let you know.
Oh, and I haven't taken any new photos because my camera battery is just about dead, and I have to wait for the adapter to arrive from Caleb via Boston University in early March. I think I said this, but there really is no mail here, so when we want things from the states, we have them sent to BU, and then next person going to Lesotho brings them. It's actually okay because there are always people coming in and out of the country. I actually carried a bunch of stuff over here with me for the organization. The other option is DHL, which is reliable, just expensive.
Oh, and I may go into Ladybrand, South Africa tomorrow to shop at the good grocery store. Ah, food! I can't wait.
4 comments:
So glad your feeling better.
Love, Mom
I guess I really have to send that adapter now, eh?
Good thing you recovered in Lesotho because apparently the entire state of Maine is encased in ice. In ice.
I hope the driving goes well! Look out, Lesotho!
Glad you're feeling better,
Anna and Len
Post a Comment