Yesterday, Saturday, Suzanna and I went out to the airport to pick up an OB/GYN and her sixteen year old daughter. And I drove! Driving on the left isn't all that bad, though I guess most people tend to hug the left shoulder a lot, which seems pretty normal. The car I drove is in serious need of a new clutch, and fourth gear is nearly impossible to find. But I did fine, and the more practice I have on this vehicle, hopefully the better.
*If there is anyone with excessive amounts of cash who is looking for something to do with it, the Lesotho-Boston Health Alliance would gladly take a new car donation.*
Now if you remember, I said that luggage sometimes doesn't make it here from Johannesburg, right? Well, when when Sue and her daughter (who is named Sarah. So now we have two Sarah...and coincidentally two Suzanna's...and they happen to be from North Yarmouth, ME!) arrived, there luggage had not. But we couldn't blame Jo'burg this time. Actually things got caught up in Heathrow because they had lost their luggage tags and which those tags South African Airways would not have their already checked bags processed. Let this be a lesson...don't throw out your claim tags until you get your luggage. Sue actually didn't throw hers out, she and her daughter had a long layover in London, so they got on a double-decker tour bus, and Sue accidentally left her bag on the bus. Bad stuff all around.
Needless to say, we took them shopping for some things in Maseru, then went back to the house for some down time. Phil and Sandy Elkin (Suzanna's parents) came in from Leribe, too, so it was a full house. A very full house, with people talking on Skype, lunches being made, groceries being put away, family bickering going on, hot sun beating into the house, and a bucket taking on water drip by drip.
I forgot to mention that on Friday night, a pipe in the main bathroom (not my bathroom) started to leak on the floor. So we put a bucket down and through various phone calls actually got a plumber to show up within an hour. Remarkable, huh? No, because he looked at the problem, then left saying he'd come back in the morning. He never came back, so we called his cell, which he didn't answer. Then we called him at home (at 8 am on Sat morning), and his daughter told us that he had left his phone at home and she didn't know where he was. We kept harassing her throughout the day, but we never did get back in touch with him. But 'Me Zinnia came home yesterday afternoon (we live in her house), so the problem is sort of out of our hands now.
Late yesterday afternoon, we went to South Africa. Our house basically sits on the border, but it takes about 15 min to drive there. And drive I did. The border crossing was kind of sketchy because we're supposed to go in and get stamped (I think, I'm not really sure). But Suzanna scammed her way into getting a frequent traveler exemption, so she can go through the express lane, so we just went through that lane. The guy looked at our passports, but didn't seem to care that we didn't have exemptions. So we figured it was just coming back into Lesotho that would be a problem.
Ladybrand is the "big" town that most people go to when they cross the border. There are a bunch of decent restaurants, some nicer shops, and SPAR! Spar is the grocery store, and after only shopping at Shoprite, it is a step closer to heaven. At least that's how it has been portrayed to me on several occasions. I'll be honest, it was nice to see that there was some more variety of healthier options for crackers and things (like Ryvita!). And the meat was better quality looking. But to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I guess I just haven't been sequestered to Lesotho for long enough to feel the full effect of the Spar oasis. Maybe in a few months when I haven't been to SA for awhile, I'll fall in love.
Saturday afternoon was pretty dead, meaning most of the other stores were closed, so we just came back. I have to say that since shopping is not exactly my favorite sport, I was sort of happy about not aimlessly wandering around (and I was still pretty tired from the week's illness). I think Sarah was disappointed though. She like to shop, and I think she's feeling a little culture and entertainment starved here in boring Maseru. So I think she was looking forward to a little better of an outing. Oh, and we were going to go to a nice coffeshop/cafe, but it was closed. Next time Sarah, next time.
Coming back through the border was, well, just kind of stupid. Suzanna drove back, showed her passport to the border guard, and he just waved us through. If it was just Sarah and I, I'm not sure what would happen, but I guess we'll find out. I'm happy to play dumb until someone tells me I need to follow the rules. Actually, I'm not really "playing" dumb. I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to do at the border, and so far no official person has indicated that I've done anything wrong :)
Last night was pretty laid back. I read some Voltaire, did some planning for next weekend. Depending on meetings and schedules and stuff, Sarah and I may be going to Sani Pass with the Elkins, and staying at the Sani Top Chalet and doing a day of hiking in the Southern Drakensbergs. This all depends on how long a meeting goes that we have on Friday. Oh and if I haven't mentioned it yet...The Elkins are amazing! I couldn't be luckier to have them here!
I'll be heading off the the gym soon. It's 7 am now, and it opens at 8. Don't worry, I'm not hitting it hard with interval training just yet. I think I'll just have a nice relaxing swim. My body is tired of sitting around...which I take to be a very good sign.
Sarah and I have a work meeting with Lauren at noon, and then I'm not sure what'll be happening for the rest of the day. Maybe some work.
Have a great break week to everyone at Bates...
1 comment:
Holy s***! Sani Top looks incredible.
Post a Comment