New Photos.
I learned a few new things today.
1) Lesotho children are told that if they drink cow urine, they'll be able to whistle really loudly. And so a lot of them do in fact drink urine. Or at least that's what Senate told us. Pretty gross, huh?
2) Evangelical Christians are known as "Happy Clappy" people. I learned this because there is a "Signs and Wonders" festival going on in Maseru right now. I thought it was some kind of music festival, but apparently it's a Happy Clappy healing fest.
3) We saw the words "Dead Camel" scratched in the dust on the back window of a car in front of us on our way to Berea this morning. In Sesotho there are all kind of proverbs about cows because they are valued here. So if you say something to someone about their cows, it's a compliment. Well...to make a long story short...if you want to insult someone, you twist those proverbs around to have something to do with camels. I guess the King of Lesotho was given a few camels by the Prime Minister of Libya. And since a lot of people don't like the King, they have negative associations with camels, now. So if you really want to insult someone, call them a Dead Camel.
I got some more driving practice in today. This time it was the Condor, our SUV. I only stalled once, but unfortunately, it was while a massive truck was coming at me. We survived, obviously, but I think I gave Lauren and Senate a good scare.
It's pouring right now, and the lightening is amazing! We have to unplug everything in the house so it doesn't get fried. But my computer is all charged up, so I can still do work! Going on my 11th hour of work now. But it actually looks like I am going to Sani Pass tomorrow, so I want to get a bunch of things done before I go.
Lauren leaves tomorrow....Sarah and I are on our own. Not really, though. I can't believe how much we've accomplished since we got here only 3 weeks ago.
3 comments:
Wow, I guess it really is OK with me that you needed a ride when you were here. :-)
Wow, I guess that I'm OK with giving you a ride here anytime you need one :-)
As I will be on the farm in a week,I I can try drinking cow piddle and report back on my whistling abilities. Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment