After living here for three weeks, I finally sat down and talked to 'Me Zinnia. LeBoHA is renting the house from her, but actually, I found out that her sister is the one who owns the house. Zinnia has a daughter in North Carolina, a niece in California, and a sister in England. And she actually lived in the States about 30 years ago. She told me that people in Lesotho love Americans, which, I have to admit, is not a sentiment I hear very often when I am traveling. But to Zinnia, all the Americans who have come here have all done so to better her country, so she has a great deal of respect for us. She also said that everyone here wants to go to the States, which, I guess I didn't find that surprising. It's really hard to get jobs here in Lesotho, and everyone has a dream of finding a better life across the ocean.
Zinnia works at one of the casinos in Maseru. She typically works from 4 p.m. - 2 a.m., so we really don't see her that much. But she is on holiday right now, since her daughter is visiting, so I've had the opportunity to chat with her. It was getting kind of strange to be living in someone's house, but never seeing them.
So, today was another office day. Gym at 6:30, then office from 8:45 - 5:15. I still have more work to do tonight, but I'm taking a little break now. I got A LOT accomplished today, though I feel like if I tried to explain it, it wouldn't really seem like that much. I have a bunch of meetings the rest of this week, so two days in the office were great.
Oh, and I saw a mouse in our office today. It ran out as if looking for something specific, then ran back to wherever it had come from. We're moving offices in 4 weeks.
Back to the work....
2 comments:
In my time abroad I have found that people generally do love Americans. Our foreign policy, immigration laws, and the occasional whiny tourist are usually far less popular. I think most people are capable of making that distinction.
Hi Becky,
I've really been enjoying your updates. I have been showing Jeffrey some of the ones that he can understand. He is very interested in the animals and out doors there. The pictures are great. Glad your feeling better. Is there a way to get something to you there? I can get it to Boston.
Post a Comment