01 February 2008

Walking and Talking

Okay, so I slept from 3 am - 8 am today, so things are on the upswing, right?
We walked around Maseru with Suzanna for 3 hours this morning. She showed us where the essentials are, like Shoprite (of which there are three) for groceries and drug store stuff; the referral hospital where we do a lot of work, and best of all the Fruit and Vegetable Market. They have so much variety, bulk dried fruit and nuts, granola, olive oil, chutney.

Then we went and bought standing fans for our bedrooms. We had to carry them home (30 min walk), which wouldn't have been that bad, except that in Maseru, you buy the fan already assembled. So we were walking down the street, holding the fans around the neck and trying not to hit people with the feet. My fan kept falling apart, too. So I would have to reattach the front cage every two minutes. It was kind of funny actually. We finally got them home, though, and it was well worth it!

(Oh, and you don't bargain here, everything just has a price in Maluti. I'll try to remember to add an entry on the purchasing power of the Maluti.)

Lunch was bread and peanut butter and a green apple.

This afternoon, we had a 3 hour conference call ordeal, half of which was fighting with technology. If anyone has a brilliant way to make video conference calls work on Skype, let me know. The point was to get the Boston crowd in touch with the Leribe based residency program staff and registrars (their word for residents).

Dinner was Indian food at a restaurant in town. (They also serve Mexican and Italian.) The palak paneer was good, except the cheese tasted a little like feta. Oh, and the naan was really thick.

There was a brilliant lightening storm during dinner. I was sure the power was going to go out, but apparently that doesn't happen all too much here. Weird.

Tomorrow we're going hiking.

I'll try to upload some pictures soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are on the upswing. If it's any consolation I had trouble with the jet lag/homesickness/food thing when I went to Asia. And you know I'm a tough guy too :) It gets better!

Dave said...

Loving the updates, and glad to hear you're settling in.

Jesse said...

Becky, apparently I can't read your updates at work. I'll call the Mayor.
I would recommend poorly written books for sleep deprivation.

Enjoy the fruit and don't work too much.

Caleb Jong Il said...

I've already said hi over skype, but I should probably say hi here, too.

Your brown dog decided that, since you're abroad, it's now cool to eat slippers.

Anonymous said...

So cool talking to you over skype. You look great and sound terrific. Kind of jealous of the warm weather. Yesterday's ice storm just reminds me of how much I miss warm weather.

Have a great day.
Love